President Donald Trump announced Sunday that he has instructed the Pentagon to sharply scale back annual joint military exercises with South Korea.
In a Truth Social post, Trump cited the high costs of the drills, his positive relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, and South Korea's refusal to assist the United States in efforts to denuclearize Iran.
“While somewhat unrelated (?), I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, ‘No thanks!’” Trump wrote.[1]
The move comes as the administration manages resources amid its conflict with Iran. Trump has previously described the exercises as expensive and provocative, and he noted that the United States has long participated in them despite his reservations.[2]
The scaled-back drills include the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, which were set to begin soon. Trump told Hegseth to substantially reduce their scope.
South Korea remains a key U.S. ally in the region, but the decision underscores the administration's expectation that partners contribute to shared security priorities, particularly regarding Iran. The announcement aligns with ongoing efforts to focus military resources on pressing threats.
No immediate response from South Korean officials was detailed in the president's statement. The reduction reflects a pragmatic approach to alliance commitments during a period of heightened global tensions.
Comments
No comments yet. Be the first to share your thoughts.